Marriage License

A Marriage License may be issued in any Colorado county and used in any county in the state. Applicants do not need to be residents of Colorado (except in the case of a proxy marriage.) Arapahoe County is now issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples at all of our branch locations.

To begin, complete the online application. This will save time and expedite the process before you visit us in person. Once you have completed your online application, visit us in person at one of four locations in Arapahoe County. 

Timeline to Apply

A marriage license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately. The license must be signed within 35 days from the date of issue, and returned for recording within 63 days of marriage to our Littleton office only.

A marriage may be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy, or by the couple themselves. A friend or relative may not solemnize the marriage unless they are a judge or clergy.

Age Requirements

  • The legal age to marry without parental consent is 18 years of age.
  • If age 16 or 17, written and notarized Parental Consent Form signed by both parents, the parent with legal custody, or the legal guardian is required.
  • Applicants 15 years of age or younger must obtain a court order granting judicial approval as well as complying with the above requirements. The court order must be obtained in the county where judicial approval has been granted.

Steps to a Marriage License

All applicants must follow these three steps to apply for, complete and record their marriage license: 

Apply for a Marriage License
Learn about the requirements and what to bring to apply for a marriage license.

STEP TWO: Complete Your Marriage License and Certificate
After you have applied for and received a marriage license and certificate, follow these instructions to properly complete the certificate at your marriage.

STEP THREE: Record Your Marriage License
You must return the completed marriage license and certificate for recording to our Littleton Branch office only within 63 days of the marriage.


Who Can Marry Us? 

A marriage may be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy, or by the couple themselves. 

If you wish to be married by a court judge, please call for wedding information:
  • 18th Judicial District Court in Centennial, 303-649-6355 (press any case type)
  • Arapahoe County Court in Littleton at 303-649-6355 (press option 9)
  • Aurora Municipal Court in Aurora at 303-739-6535

Search for Marriage License

You may search for recorded marriage licenses using our online Document Search for documents dating back to Feb. 1, 1996. Visit our office at the County Administration Building to find marriage licenses dating back to 1902.