What We Do

The Zoning Division enforces the zoning, subdivision and weed regulations for unincorporated Arapahoe County. We process all building, fence and sign permits to ensure they comply with County regulations. Zoning also enforces Christmas tree lot, fireworks stand and bus bench regulations. We provide zoning information to the public and present cases to the Board of Adjustment where there are variances, special exception uses and interpretations to the County's zoning regulations. Please refer to the Regulations and Requirements link on the left for additional zoning information.

Need a Quick Answer?

During business hours (M-F, 8 - 4:30), talk to someone to get the information you need quickly. Call 720-874-6650 and ask for:
  • Planner on Call for questions about current land development activity or processes for land development approvals.
  • Zoning on Call to find the zoning on properties, check allowable land uses, report a property concern or ask about fence or sign permits.
  • Use Report, Request or Question to send an email to Planning or Zoning. Please select Planning or Zoning from drop down menu.
  • Public Works On Call services.

Find My Property

ArapaMap and Property Information tools may also help you find the information you need and whether a property is located within the unincorporated county.

Backyard Chickens and Bees

Arapahoe County is proposing regulations for backyard bee and chicken keeping in unincorporated residentially-zoned areas with single-family detached housing. If adopted, the regulations would expand the opportunity to keep beehives and/or up to four chickens on single-family detached properties. HOAs have the ability and may wish to establish additional bee and chicken keeping guidelines via covenants.

This Code amendment is not applicable to the A-E, A-1, A-2, or R-A zone districts, as these districts already allow the keeping of bees and chickens. The proposed amendment would provide setback and design requirements as well as other guidance to citizens of Unincorporated Arapahoe County.

External agency, neighboring jurisdiction, internal County department, and HOA referral comments were sought and were due back on January 18th, and citizen comment was solicited via an online form that closed January 27th. Comments are being reviewed and the proposed amendments will have public hearings at the Planning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners in the next several weeks, at which time additional public comment will be accepted.

Backyard Bee-Keeping
Backyard Chicken-Keeping

Additional Resources