Q. How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
- To prevent errors, we do not quote fees over the phone. Please visit any of our motor vehicle locations for assistance.
Q. Do I need an emission test to register/renew my vehicle?
- Newer gas vehicles are exempt four (4) years from the date of manufacture.
- Gas vehicles that are 1982 or newer are tested every two years.
- Gas vehicles that are 1981 and older are tested every year.
- Newer diesel vehicles are exempt four (4) years from the date of manufacture.
- 2003 and older diesel vehicles are tested every year, unless they have a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. and then they are tested every
other year until the tenth (10) year.
- On gas vehicles that are 1982 and newer an emission test can be transferred to a new purchaser as long as 12 months remain
and the test has not been used on a previous owner's registration. On vehicles that are 1981 and older an emission test ca
be transferred to a new purchase as long as 9 months remain and the test has not been used on a previous owner's registration.
- Emission information is located to the right of your name on the registration, P for pass, the date and E for enhanced test
and the next due date (P/02232006/E022008).
- Arapahoe County residents must be tested in the enhanced test area and not in the basic emission area. All stations located
in Douglas, Denver, Arapahoe, Jefferson, Boulder, Broomfield and Adams are enhanced stations.
- Additional information, location and hours are available at www.aircarecolorado.com
Q. Do I have to bring proof of insurance to register a vehicle?
- Yes, Colorado Statute requires all registered vehicles to have insurance.
Q. I've just moved to Colorado from another state. What do I need to register my vehicle?
- Certificate of Title or a legible faxed copy of the title if held by a lien holder, or, original registration (no more than
six months expired). Proof of sales tax paid is required when surrendering an Out of State Certificate of Title ONLY (vehicle was titled in another state but never registered).
- Completed DR 2395 Verification of the Vehicle Identification number; which can be performed at any Colorado Air Care Station,
Licensed Car Dealership, or Clerk and Recorder's office.
- Emission test if applicable. Please see question #2 above for additional emissions details.
- Proof of insurance.
- Lease agreement if vehicle is leased.
- Proof of sales tax paid (if vehicle was never registered in the previous state), invoice or bill of sale is required.
- Secure and verifiable identification.
- Cash, check or money order. Visa, Mastercard, Discovery and American Express are accepted.
- A weight slip may be required (Call 303-795-4500 for information).
Q. My registration, tabs, and or plates have been lost or stolen. What do I do?
- You must visit any of our offices for replacement. Associated fees will be assessed.
Q. Can I get credit from the vehicle I sold when I register my new vehicle?
- Yes, please bring in your registration and bill of sale/buyers invoice from the vehicle you sold or traded in. For further
details, contact our office at 303-795-4500.
Q. Can I get a temporary instead of renewing a registration on a vehicle that I intend to sell?
Q. Can I renew my registration over the phone or online?
- You can not renew your vehicle over the phone. You can renew your motor vehicle if your current registration has not expired;
there are restrictions on certain vehicle types. To renew online or obtain additional information please click here.
Q. I just moved to another county. Do I still need to renew my vehicle in Arapahoe County?
- No. Please contact the county where you now reside. Click here for County information.
Q. How do I get a Certificate of Title for a vehicle I have purchased if there is no Certificate of Title in existence?
- Contact our office for details at 303-795-4500.
Q. I just purchased a new car from a dealership and it is financed. What do I do now?
- Wait until you receive a white "Title Complete" postcard in the mail from us stating that your title work is complete. Then
bring that card to an Arapahoe County Motor Vehicle Office along with proof of your insurance, proof of emissions, if applicable
and the plates or registration of plates you wish to transfer. If you do not receive the postcard prior to your temporary
registration (permit) expiring, please contact the motor vehicle office at 303-795-4500
Q. May I change my address over the phone?
- The owner(s) of the vehicle can visit one of our offices to request an address change or you can complete our online change
of motor vehicle address form.
Q. Do you accept credit cards?
- Yes, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.
Q. How much did I pay in ownership tax?
- Your registration shows the amount you paid in Ownership Tax and Prior Ownership Tax. Make sure you keep a copy for your income