Purchasing a vehicle from a private party
When purchasing a vehicle from a private party, the following paperwork is required:
A title, properly transferred from seller to buyer.
- If title is with a lien holder, a bill of sale, insurance on the new vehicle, and proof of ownership from previous owner will
allow you to receive a temporary registration/tag.
- If the title is not a Colorado title, you will need to get a VIN verification. A VIN verification is available from any licensed
Colorado emissions testing station, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer, a Colorado law enforcement officer or the Arapahoe
County Clerk's Motor Vehicle offices (weather pending). The fee for the VIN verification performed through the Arapahoe County
Clerk's office will be $12.
- Older Colorado titles may require a notary. If the title has a spot for a notary to sign, it needs to be notarized or a Statement
of Transfer (in lieu of notarization of Colorado title), Form DR2445 needs to be filled out.
- Notary may be required on out of state titles.
A Bill of Sale
- A bill of sale is not necessary if the vehicle title provides a place to write the purchase price and the purchase date.
An odometer statement is required if the vehicle is newer then 10 years old.
- Most titles provide a place for the odometer reading.
- If the title does not provide such a place, contact the Motor Vehicle office at 303-795-4500 for information on obtaining
the necessary odometer reading form (DR2173).
If you have a lien on the vehicle you will need a security agreement/loan agreement. The security agreement must list:
- Description of the vehicle including year, make and VIN.
- Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
- Lien holder's name and address.
- Original or legible fax copy
Proof of Insurance from Colorado on the new vehicle is required.
- Valid insurance card
- Declaration page
- Binder/letter from an insurance company on company letter
A legible fax copy of one of the above documents on insurance company letterhead is acceptable.
Proof of enhanced emissions, if applicable, is required at registration.