How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search

Marriage License
A Marriage License may be issued in any Colorado county and used in any county in the State of Colorado. Applicants do not need to be residents of Colorado (except in the case of a proxy marriage.) Arapahoe County is now issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples at all of our branch locations.

You may apply for a license at four locations in Arapahoe County. The license is issued the day it is applied for and may be used immediately. The license must be signed within 35 days from the date of issue, and returned to our Littleton office only for recording within 63 days of marriage.

A marriage may be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy, or by the couple themselves. A friend or relative may not solemnize the marriage unless they are a judge or clergy.

Age Requirements
  • The legal age without parental consent is 18 years of age.
  • If age 16 or 17, written and notarized Parental Consent Form signed by both parents, the parent with legal custody, or the legal guardian is required.
  • Applicants 15 years of age or younger must obtain a court order granting judicial approval as well as complying with the above requirements. The court order must be obtained in the county where judicial approval has been granted.

STEP ONE: Apply for a Marriage License
  • Complete the online Marriage License Application and then both applicants must appear in person to apply and sign the marriage application at any of our Clerk and Recorder branch locations, open Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.- 4 p.m. (closed holidays): 
    • Littleton Branch, County Administration Building, 5334 S. Prince St., Littleton, 80120
    • Centennial Branch, Arapahoe County Lima Plaza, 6954 S. Lima St., Centennial, 80112
    • Aurora Branch, 490 S. Chambers Road, Aurora 80017
    • Byers Branch, 538 N. Highway 36, Byers 80103 (Closed daily from 12-1 p.m.)
  • OR Notarized Absentee Application Form: If one party cannot appear due to illness, because he/she is out-of-state state, or incarcerated, the party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. The absentee application form must be notarized in advance. 
  • $30 Cash for Marriage License Fee. Cash only. No credit cards or checks are accepted.
  • Valid Identification for Proof of Age: Such as a Driver's License issued in the United States, Passport, Military ID, or State-issued ID Card. We do not accept IDs issued to inmates by a correctional facility. 
  • Social Security Number: If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit provided by the Clerk's Office when applying for the license.
  • Place of Birth (City and State) must be listed on the application form
  • Parents' Names and Current Addresses must be listed on the application form
Additional Required Documents If Applicable
  • Divorce Decree or Information for Previous Marriages, if applicable. If either party has finalized a divorce within 30 days of applying for the marriage license, the final decree must be produced. This decree must be signed by the judge or court referee. If the divorce has been final more than 30 days, divorce information must be given regarding date of divorce, place of divorce and court in which the divorce was finalized. 
  • Parental Consent Form, if either party is age 16 or 17 (see Age Requirements above)
  • Judicial Court Order, if either party is age 15 or younger (see Age Requirements above) 

STEP TWO: Complete and Record Your Marriage License
After you have applied for and received a marriage license certificate, follow these steps to properly complete the document and return it to our Littleton office for recording. By recording your marriage license, you are providing evidence of the marriage for legal purposes to the County and the State of Colorado.
  • Bring the document to the official who is to perform your ceremony to be signed. If you are solemnizing your own marriage, you will sign in place of the official.
  • Fill in the county, day, month, year and place of ceremony in black ink.
  • Sign the document. Both parties and the official should sign on the lower portion of the document. If you solemnized your own marriage, both parties should sign above the "official title" and on the lines for "party one" and "party two."
  • Return the completed marriage certificate for recording within 63 days of the marriage to our Littleton Branch, 5334 S. Prince St., Littleton, 80120. The document may be mailed to us or delivered during business hours (Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m.) If mailed, we will record the document and return it to you by mail. If delivered, we will record the document in front of you and return it to you at that time. There is no additional cost to record the license.

Failure to return your marriage license for recording within 63 days of marriage will result in a $20 fee under Colorado law.

Proxy Marriage
Proxy Marriage is only permitted under Colorado law in cases where one of the parties is a member of the armed forces or a government contractor supporting military operations in another state or country, and unable to be present and participate in the solemnization of the marriage. The absent party may designate another person to stand in his or her place as a proxy. Applicants must both be 18 years of age in the case of a proxy marriage.

Additional Required Documents for Proxy Marriage:
In addition to the application requirements above, the following documents are required for a proxy marriage:
  • Proof of Colorado Residence for at least one party
  • Notarized Hand-Written Statement in which the absent party appoints a person to serve as his/her “proxy” in their absence
  • Copy of valid ID for the person who will serve as proxy.

Name Change after Marriage
To change your name after a marriage, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration, your county Driver's License and Motor Vehicle Office, update your Voter Registration, and any other entity with which you conduct business.

Marriage License Copies
Copies of marriage licenses are available only at our Littleton Branch in the Recording Division. The fee for a copy is $0.25, or $1.25 for a certified copy. A postage-paid, self-addressed envelope is required with the order, and the document will be mailed to you.
Marriage License Documents